UNITED HOLLINESS CHURCH OF AMERICA
The United Holy Church of America, Inc. is the oldest African-American Holiness-Pentecostal body in the world. It was established in 1886. It is a predominantly black Pentecostal Holiness Christian denomination, and the International Headquarters is located in Greensboro, North Carolina. The UHCA consists of 516 churches, 17 districts, and 8 territories. The largest and the oldest district of the connectional body is the Southern District Convocation (Goldsboro, NC).
This church was organized as the outgrowth of what was called a "holiness revival", sparked by the meetings held by Isaac Cheshier at Method, North Carolina a suburb of Raleigh, North Carolina), in 1886. It began as a regional body. On October 13, 1894, in the city of Durham, North Carolina, the first convocation was organized. Those present were G.A. Mials, H.C. Snipes and S.S. Freeman, all of Raleigh, North Carolina; present also was G.W. Roberts of Durham, North Carolina, and L.M. Mason of Method, North Carolina. On October 15, 1900, a convention was called by the Rev. C.C. Craig to meet at Durham, North Carolina, to prepare a discipline for the government of the churches. Those present were H.C. Pettiford, H.C. Snipes, L.M. Mason, G.W. Roberts, Mrs. Emma E. Craig, and Mrs. L.J. Roberts. In the early 1900s, the church added a Pentecostal understanding. In 1900 this body called itself Holy Church of North Carolina, and later, as it grew, the Holy Church of North Carolina and Virginia. In 1916 the name United Holy Church of America was adopted, and the church was incorporated on September 15, 1918.
The UHCA (United Holliness Church of America) is our denomination. Holy Temple Church UHC is the local church and is part of the Northen District of the UHCA. Under that umbrella, HTC follows under the Virginia District Organization and Tidewater Sub-District organization. To learn more about the UHCA please visit http://www.uhcainc.org/.
THE VIRGINIA DISTRICT
The Virginia District was organized by Bishop W.N. Strobhar. Bishop Thomas E. Talley was appointed the first president and Bishop S. G. McCoy, vice president. The first Convocation was held August 1969, in Portsmouth, Virginia, and the first secretary was Mrs. Elsie Harris.
On December 10, 1969, at Fisher Memorial United Holy Church, Durham, North Carolina, the Western North Carolina District was organized by Bishop W.N. Strobhar and other General Officers. Bishop A.W. Lawson was appointed the first president and Bishop N.M. Midgett, vice president. To learn more about the Northern District please visit https://nd.unitedholy.church/.